News & Events

STUART BINGHAM will be looking to sneak ahead in his all-square career head-to-head record with good friend Mark Davis in Latvia this week.

Ballrun, 41, and the Battler from Hastings, 44, have played 22 times and it is 11 wins apiece heading into the best-of-seven at the Kaspersky Riga Masters on Friday morning (June 23).

They can barley be split on frames won either, with Bingham on 76 and Davis 73 - or on the golf course for that matter.

Davis is world ranked number 37 and has reached four ranking semi-finals and has won the Six-Red World Championship three times, and Bingham is braced for another nip-and-tuck battle.

The world No 9, who beat Li Hang to book his place at the Arena Riga, said: "Mark is just a solid player, he is consistently seven out of ten and you just have to play very well to beat him. I guess that is why the record is so close.

"And we are good friends too, with go for meals together and our wives get on, and I share the same birthday as his son.

"I've played him at golf at few times in the past. It is pretty even there too, although I did used to get the better of him a bit when I was playing off five or six."

Read more: Bingham ready to resume close encounter with Mark Davis

STUART BINGHAM says he is looking forward to the challenge of playing all-comers in a charity fundraiser in Essex this Friday night (June 9).

The 2015 world champion will be taking on enthusiasts in single frames at Rayleigh Lanes Snooker Hall (which you can get directions to by clicking here) if they make a £20 donation to the Motor Neurone Disease Association. 

The 24-hour snooker marathon event has been organised by Bingham's long-standing friend Peter Ward and is being held in memory of the world No 9's late father-in-law Terry Shabi, who passed away in March 2014 at the age of 62.

Bingham said: "I'm not sure I will be able to make it through the whole 24 hours but I am looking forward to doing my part, and I am looking forward to playing any punters who want to take me on.

Read more: Bingham looking forward to taking on all-comers in charity fundraiser

Listen to Bingham's interview ahead of the 2017 World Championship by clicking here.

STUART BINGHAM admits he still gets "butterflies" every time he walks out at the Crucible to stake his claim to be a sporting world champion.

Ballrun, 40, was 23 years-old and world ranked 92 when he made his debut at the home of snooker in the year 2000.

Since then has qualified to break off at the famous venue nine times - memorably winning the title in 2015 with victory over Shaun Murphy in the final - and is now world No 3 and a married father-of-three.

But ahead of the start of his latest tilt at the crown this Sunday, he says the thrill of stepping out in Sheffield is as great as ever.

Bingham said: "When I think about the walk-out it gives you butterflies.

"Above my table at home I have a nice mural of me there in the semi-finals and it gives me butterflies thinking I am going to play there in a couple of days' time. It's brilliant and I can't wait."

Read more: Bingham: Crucible buzz always gives me 'butterflies'

STUART BINGHAM hopes his new coach Terry Griffiths can help him return to his very best on a consistent basis.

Ballrun has only shown glimpses of the form which saw him crowned 2015 world champion, although he notably won the Welsh Open this season.

Retired Welsh great Griffiths, 69, who won snooker's top prize at the Crucible in 1979, asked Bingham if he would like to work with him in February and the partnership will start in early June.

Bingham, 40, said: "It's an honour for me really and you can't get better help than from someone who has been there and done it.

Read more: Bingham hopes Griffiths can help him back to his best

STUART BINGHAM says it was a typically enjoyable trip to China even though he never really felt his game clicked before a last 16 defeat to Kyren Wilson.

The world No 3 is a firm fans' favourite in East Asia and was happy to again sample the culture as he took part in this year's China Open.

Ballrun, who beat Scotland's Scott Donaldson (5-3) and Thailand's Noppon Saengkham (5-2) before a 5-2 defeat to fellow Englishman Wilson in Beijing, admitted: "To be honest I did not feel I played that well in the first two matches even though I had little spurts of form in frames here and there.

"And I got found out really against Kyren. From 2-2 to 4-2 down I missed one chance where I was in the balls and should not have missed. And he punished me fully for it."

Read more: Bingham: China was a fun trip but I did not click against Wilson

Event Calendar

loader