News & Events

STUART BINGHAM has criticised the decision to give World Championship runner-up Ding Junhui a spot at this year’s Champion of Champions – ahead of World Seniors champion Mark Davis.

Mark Selby’s win at the Paul Hunter Classic means there are only five tournaments left for a player to secure one of the three remaining spots out of 16 at the £100,000 event in Coventry in early November.

There are 24 qualification spots available and if one player occupies more than one – as is the case with the top two, which are occupied by defending Champion of Champions winner and UK Championship title holder Neil Robertson – another spot becomes available (the current list is set out above).

It means Davis faces a nervy wait over the next couple of months, while Ding - who lost to Mark Selby in the final at the Crucible in May - is guaranteed his place. 

It also means Bingham’s chances of getting a spot through his ranking as World No 2 are over.
 

Ball Run explained: “A few years ago when Ding won five tournaments they only had 14 champions for 16 spots and Shaun Murphy and Mark Davis qualified through the rankings, I think. 

So in early August it looked like there needed to be a few different winners from then, to stop me getting in as the world No 2. So it looked like I had a good chance.
 

Read more: Bingham critical of Ding call at Champion of Champions

STUART BINGHAM faces ­another 'Battle of Es­sex' at the Paul Hunt­er Classic - and this­ time he is determined to claim the bragging rights.

Ball Run was knocked ­out by Ali Carter in ­the last ranking event as the Chelmsford-based pro went on to record a memorable title win at the World Open in China.

Carter will be at the­ Stadthalle in German­y to defend his Paul ­Hunter Classic crown ­too, but it is Southe­nd's Sydney Wilson, 2­6, who will be Bingha­m's first opponent ea­rly on Saturday afternoon (August 27).

Wilson is world ranke­d 87 and learnt his trade u­nder the late Vic Har­ris, who also helped ­world No 2 Bingham wi­th his game at the st­art of his career.

Bingham said: "I know­ Sydney a little bit ­and I think he practi­ses at Ali Carter's c­lub in Witham now.

"He has had some good­ results and there wi­ll be a bit of local ­rivalry there again, b­ut I feel it is one I­ should win if I play­ my A-Game.

Read more: Bingham ready for Essex derby with Wilson

STUART BINGHAM says Leo Fernandez's ban is a stark reminder that corruption in snooker is "just not worth it".

Ireland's Ferandeez, 40, has been suspended from the sport for 15 months after he admitted he deliberately played a foul shot in a World Championship qualifier in April which enabled others to profit from betting.

Bingham, 40, said: "I turned pro at the same time as Leo in 1995 and we came through together so this came as a shock to me.

Read more: 'Fernandez ban shows why corruption in snooker is never worth it'

STUART BINGHAM admitted his "big chance" at becoming world No 1 was ended with defeat to Ali Carter at the World Open - but Bull Run plans to work his way back into the running for top spot over the next couple of years.

Heading into the season's third ranking event in China last month, Ball Run had a chance at becoming only snooker's 12th-ever top ranked player if he won the title with current leading Mark Selby being knocked out early on (the full permutations are excellently explained by @ProSnookerBlog here). 

But a nip-and-tuck 5-3 loss in round two to bogeyman and eventual champion Carter, after an opening 5-4 win over Stuart Carrington, means Bingham would now need a sensational run of results to challenge again this season, with Selby about £80,000 clear on the money list (the top 10 is pictured below).

The 2015 world champion explained: "That was my big chance gone. I won in Shanghai two years ago and also at an Asian Tour event and I'll have those points coming off so this was probably my last chance at world No 1 for the foreseeable future. I would need another two good years now to be in contention.

Read more: Bingham: My shot at world No 1 has gone - but I'll challenge again

STUART BINGHAM is looking forward to his return to the Indian Open after a three-year absence from the event.

Ball Run last played in the tournament in New Delhi in 2013 when he lost 4-3 in the last 16 to Pankaj Advani and did not enter the following season after the dates of the event in Mumbai were changed from October to March due to local elections.

It was not staged in the last campaign but it is back this month (July 5-9) in Hyderabad and Bingham gets underway against Lincolnshire rookie Steven Hallworth, 20, in round one on Tuesday.

Bingham said: “It will be good to compete in the event again and I am looking forward to the trip and the warm welcome we get in India.

Read more: Bingham looking forward to Indian Open return

Event Calendar

loader